1. The first phase to become professional photographer is very much important and sometimes difficult. It is very much advisable to start your photography business by joining with any respective photography business as per your requirement as intern to understand the technicalities and challenges to start photography business. Sometimes, you feel certain things you are not likely to do or agree with your boss but you have to just do all those things. This will give you the presumption to start a photography business.
2. Develop relationships with people and learn skills to deal with people. After all, at the end of time, you need people to book your photography services. You should work on your communications skills, and if you feel lack of confidence, it is advisable to join some classes related with communication skills. Sometimes, you clients may not satisfy with your work and you must develop such skills to handle such situations.
3. Create short-term goals and long-term goals. Short-term goals will bring you closer to long-term goals. e.g. Short term goal would be to book 3 new clients in next month and so on. This could help to achieve a larger goal of having a number of clients in your basket during a year. You must write your goals to fulfills them.
4. Before finalization of any booking, you must sure yourself to go through a business contract with your clients on number of conditions. This should include everything from advance payment and things you are not liable for.
5. Set your prices. By taking consideration of time, cost of manpower, cost of gear and equipment, cost of prints and video editing required at each shoot, you must calculate cost and provide pricing by avoid cost too high or too low. A high cost will scare your clients while setting a low price will make you desperate or unattractive as a professional photographer. Look up for other photographers in your area with their base charges and see what they are charging for. The create your own base pricing based on your skils and abilities in comparison to others.